Monday, January 28, 2008

Reflection on 1/23

Last Wednesday’s class discussion and movie allowed me open my eyes to many issues with the Native American Culture. When I was in elementary school I was not aware of how these issues affected others. My Father and I were in a YMCA organization called “Indian Princesses”. It was organized like girls scouts yet geared toward Father and Daughter bonding. We would be in “tribes”, have Indian names and own vests. On these vests we would get feathers whenever completing a task (like receiving badges in girl scouts). I can also relate to one of the issues mentioned in the novel Heart of a Chief. In middle school I was a cheerleader for my local City’s football league. This league was called the Redskins. Although the mascot is never apparent there were feathers on all the football helmets. At the time I did not realize how both of these organizations can be offensive to the Native American Culture. Upon reflecting after class I understand how upset and hurtful both of these examples are to others. It is important for society to understand and be more educated on these issues in order for a change to be made.

No comments: